One of the promises of Jive is that it enables you to work more efficiently by moving work normally done in email to Jive. But setting up your Jive Inbox, activity streams, and email notifications can take some thought and tweaking to reach the equilibrium you want. Part of the power of your community is the ability to "live" in it for most of your working hours and, as a result, reduce your email. In Jive, you can customize your notifications so that you receive an email, or not, when a person, place, or item posts an update in one of your streams. If your community is busy, you may find that you rapidly accumulate hundreds of email messages from any streams that have email notifications set to On.
Here are some good email notification strategies:
- Turn off all email notifications and live in your Jive community 100%. You will never get an email when your followed people, places, or items post updates in the community.
- Create an Email Watches stream and set email notifications to On for only that stream. Then, only follow critical items in your Email Watches stream. This stream can be helpful when you're away from the community for a few days or if you want to watch something that you haven't directly participated in (if you had, you'd see those updates in your Inbox).
- Note that if you set email notifications to On for Inbox (everything in my Inbox page), you will receive an email each time someone posts an update to an item in which you were previously @mentioned or that you participated in. This can get overwhelming quickly; we recommend setting email notifications to Off for Inbox (everything in my Inbox page).
Here are some guidelines to help:
|To access Preferences, click the triangle next to your profile avatar and select Preferences|
You can set email notifications on any of your streams, including your Inbox, so that you receive an email each time a person, place, or item posts an update in that stream. When you turn on email updates for a stream or your Inbox, you will get an email every time that stream or Inbox is updated. This can get overwhelming quickly; we recommend setting email updates to Off whenever possible.
Here's what each setting does:
- This toggles all external email on or off. If on, the settings below control what is sent to your email inbox.
Inbox - Things you've followed in your Inbox
- Receive a separate email each time someone posts an update to an item you've selected to follow in your Inbox.
Inbox - Social activity directed at you such as @mentions, shares, and messages
- Receive an email each time someone @mentions you, shares content with you, or sends you a message in the community.
Inbox - Notifications about things like tasks, connections, and skill endorsements
- Receive an email each time you have a new task, a new connection, or a new skills endorsement.
Moderation - Moderators will receive emails on items in their moderation queue
- Receive an email when you have content to moderate (if you're a content moderator).
- Receive an email each time a followed person, place, or item posts an update in this stream.
Your Custom Streams (Product in the example image)
- Receive an email each time new activity is posted in your custom stream(s).
- Receive a community digest email every day, once or twice a week, or never.
- The digest includes:
- Your status. If you've entered a status message, it'll be here.
- A list of activity around your content. If you've created or commented on content, for example, it'll be listed here. This list will also include notes about content of yours that was viewed or commented on by others.
- A list of activity by people connected to you.
- A list of popular content in the community.
Include body of content in email
- You can select whether or not you'd like your email notifications to include the full text of the community item you're being notified about.