Ryan Rutan

Does an enteprise need to be "social" for a "Social Intranet" to work?

Discussion created by Ryan Rutan on Feb 8, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 by tshort

In general, looking for an open discussion.  In my experience, as well as observing others talking about their companies ... I seem to hear an alarming number of people express concern that a social intranet would never work in their corporate culture.   To cut to the chase, I'd like to hear your opinons.

My opinion:

I think the answer is No. A Social Intranet will work in any organization, regardless of culture.  At the end of the day, a company's end goal is to make money (in most cases), and Social Intranets have proven widely successful at doing just that, by connecting the work-force and providing faster channels of response.  To be very clear, Social = Social on the consumer web.  Social = Business in the enterprise.  When email was introduced, people were reluctant to adopt; however, they learned quick that it was a faster way to get work done.  Similarly, as soon as people see the Social Intranet as a means of boosting their productivity and simplifying their day, they WILL latch on.  This isn't to say that everyone will skip down the halls, hold hands, and sing Kumbaya; however, it does mean that when it comes to getting the work done ... people will use whatever tools at their disposal to make their job more simple.

Socializing your work-force is the easiest step in a social intranet roll-out.  In most cases, a solid social business platform will do most of the work for you; however, it's the next step that many people tend to overlook in discussion when talking about Social Intranets, which is: Socializing enterprise applications.  Just imagine reinvigorating investments into depreciating enterprise systems, such as ERP, CRM, and ECM, by connecting your newly socialized work-force into these systems in a manner that is both contextually relevant and actionable.  Imagine giving your employees a system that is fun to use, improves their morale (by connecting them with the organization), and makes them more efficient interacting with both people and key enterprise systems.  Soon, I see this vision being a true universal work-place differentiater; meaning, employees choosing employers based on such an environment.

That is the story of Social Intranet that excites me, and why I am such an advocate of the Jive Platform and Jive Apps Framework.  I believe (without hesitation) that a Social Intranet built on Jive can provide a true competitive advantage for ANY company in ANY industry.  Success story after success story have proven the road ahead is worth taking the first step.

Summary:

Q:  Does an enterprise need to be "social" for a "Social Intranet" to work?

A:  No, as long as a company is in business to make money ... a social intranet (on the right platform) will be VERY successful.

Outcomes