What would you call the Watercooler area?

Discussion created by gialyons on Mar 9, 2009
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 by JHaines

In my discussions with clients, we always recommend setting up an area in their social site that gives folks a place to talk about anything in general. We refer to this as the "Watercooler," but realize that term can either be viewed as woefully outdated, or very much in tune with a company's culture, depending on where you work.


That said, what are some other names you'd call such a place? I tweeted this question, and here are some of the responses I received:


  • Coffeeshop
  • Corridor
  • Lobby
  • Atrium
  • Foyer
  • Hallway
  • Cafe
  • Coffe Spot
  • Garden
  • Club
  • Park
  • Vibe
  • Pulze
  • Agora
  • The Octagon (my personal favorite)
  • Buzz


What else comes to mind?


BTW, this is an excellent question to ask in your budding social environment to get people engaged in a simple and fun way.