AnsweredAssumed Answered

Got “Access to restricted URI denied” error after sent request with URL and credential

Question asked by tsctang on Mar 24, 2014
Latest reply on May 16, 2014 by tsctang


Our company is using IBM Connections Communities currently and going to move a few Communities to external JIVE Community.

In the mean time, we still need to search contents in JIVE Community from our Portal application.

I used FireBug tool to get search URL but I have trouble to access your API in the HTML.

I created a simple HTML file in our testing web server and use XMLHttpRequest with URL as well as credential Sherry Rosenkrantz provided to get results back.

Unfortunately, I still got “Access to restricted URI denied” error from FireBug console after sent the request (Note 1).

However, I tried a testing web site with URL string and credential, then it could return results with JSON format (Note 2).

You can test it yourself:

  1. Go to
  2. Pass the following string to Destination text box (I hard-coded “tax” as search string)

  1. Enter ID/Password and service for Authentication.
  2. Hit “Launch Request” button and then you will see the results.


It seems your new ID is working but I could not make it work in my HTML.

My simple HTML codes are attached (Note 3) and I need your help to resolve this problem.



Tony Tang


Content Management, Collaboration, & Corporate Apps (C3)

Office 973-974-4816 Mobile 973-610-5835


Note 1:

Authentication Error.jpg

Note 2:


Note 3:




var commhttpRequest;


function CommCreateObjectCom()


if (typeof ActiveXObject != 'undefined') {

commhttpRequest = new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP');



if (typeof XMLHttpRequest != 'undefined') {

commhttpRequest = new XMLHttpRequest();


return commhttpRequest;


function CMMSearchvalue(e)


if(e.keyCode == 13)



if (commhttpRequest) {

var CommSearchValue = "";

var CommstatusObj = document.getElementById("CMMSearch");

if (CommstatusObj != null && CommstatusObj != "") {

CommSearchValue = CommstatusObj.value;


CommSearchValue= CommSearchValue.replace(/\&/g,'&amp;');

CommSearchValue= CommSearchValue.replace(/</g,'&lt;');

CommSearchValue= CommSearchValue.replace(/>/g,'&gt;');


var Commurl=""+CommSearchValue+")"


commhttpRequest.onreadystatechange = CommunitySearch; //Assigning Async Event to Check Status'GET', Commurl,true, '', 'service'); // Open http request


return commhttpRequest;


else {

return void 0;




function CommunitySearch() {

if (commhttpRequest.readyState == 4)




var commresults = commhttpRequest.responseText;












<div id="adp_taxu_lowerbox2_bottom">

<div class="taxu_hdr" style="width:595px;">Find an answer</div>

<div style="overflow-y: auto; height:250px;">


<span id="SimpleSearch" name="SimpleSearch" style="padding-top:20px;padding-left:30px;padding-bottom:20px;width:600px; font-size:16px; color: #4d4f53;"><b>Search&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp</b><input type="text" name="CMMSearch" id="CMMSearch" onkeypress="CMMSearchvalue(event)"></input>